Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Double Booked

Christmas Club!
We get a lot of wedding invitations. At this point we’ve attended more island weddings than we have American weddings. This is partially because weddings here are not just one event, they are a series of events. Usually we don’t see a wedding all the way through— we just go to the one (sometimes two) events that we have been invited to. Wedding invitations are so common for us that we don’t always go. Sometimes we have no idea who the bride and groom are and we are being invited by a distant relative or a friend of a friend. In these situations we feel little obligation to go.

But here was an invitation to a wedding where we knew the bride, Bweni (see post from 2 weeks ago- "Right Choice?" for full story behind her wedding). While I wasn’t supportive of the marriage, the actual marriage ceremony had already happened. Now a week later was the final event— the climax for the bride. So I knew I should be there. To not go seemed like it could be relationship-breaking. 

But here was the problem— it was the same night as our annual Christmas party for our English Club. It was a biggest club night of the year. We would have a bunch of snacks, sing, play games, and share the Christmas story. It always went late.

As soon as she told me about the wedding event, I told her about the conflict. In normal circumstances, that would have been the end of it. But since I had come down so hard against the marriage, I wanted to make contact again. So the day of the event,  I let her know again about the conflict and prayed that God would be with her. But she still urged me to come, assuring me the event would be from 6-10pm. I surprised to hear that it would start so early, so I told her I’d try to pass by before our club.

I should have known better. I went at 7pm and they were still setting up. Worst of all, Bweni wasn’t even there. She was getting ready in some other location. I had assumed I would at least get some face time with her.  I sat there watching them set up, thinking that I should slip out before they really got started. Then Bweni’s mom grabbed my arm and pulled me away from the lights and set-up chairs, away from listening ears. She started talking to me fast and furious. In short, she wanted me to know that she wasn’t happy about the marriage either. She hadn’t felt free to say so when I voiced my objections because of the people listening (she had to put on a happy face for the neighborhood). But she wasn’t happy. She cried in bed about it but she had no choice but to go along with it. She ended her speech by saying, “Now we just have to pray to God that Bweni will be saved.”

Our angel declaring the good news
It wasn’t very clear to me what exactly her mom thought she should be saved from…shame, gossip, a bad marriage, sin— but in any case it seemed a good prayer to me so I agreed. We returned to the seats arm and arm. She sat me down and left to do more preparations. I made my exit a little bit later.

I got back to the house in time for a few last minute preparations before our guests started arriving. We had a good time. Our guests were particularly struck by the lowness of being born in a stable and placed in a manger. Then came the announcement from the angels to the shepherds. This baby was born to save us! That is good news for all of us to hear.

PRAYERS ANSWERED
Our English club Christmas party went well. We feel like people engaged with the story more than in past years and they left with copies both in English and the local language. We got tickets to go to the neighboring island after Christmas to visit friends over there and strategize together. We are excited about the mutual encouragement that is sure to happen. We’ve been doing our shopping and planning and look forward to a nice island Christmas this year.

PRAYERS REQUESTED
Ma Imani has been suffering in her pregnancy. She has a medical condition that effects the baby and so she has to go for regular injections. These medical visits are draining her funds, so her family is struggling to find money for food. Pray for God’s protection for her and her baby. Pray that her husband could find a job and for His provision. Our internet has been bad on the islands lately, pray that the connection could be strong for the holiday so we can connect with our families back in the States. One of our sisters from volcano island was interrogated for a long time by police— it was the first time something like this has happened in as long a time as those working here can remember— pray for her and all of us on the islands. It is possible this is the first sign of things to come. After Christmas, all our teammates are traveling off the islands, pray for safe travels. Pray that Megan would get a chance to sit down and talk with Bweni again in person.