![]() |
| An event right outside our house |
Now there are all sorts of wedding events that happen here
and we are not really opposed to them, except when they happen right outside
our house. Why? Because all wedding ceremonies include
singing and dancing and all singing must be amplified and speakers have only
one volume setting on the islands—AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE. Why do they even put a volume dial on those
things???
So now I start thinking, as a watch them set up speakers
directly outside our kitchen window—I’ve got a meeting tonight. How am I going to have a meeting if there is
music blaring into our living room? It’s
simply not going to work. I’ve been
meeting with some friends for the past few months, having great discussions,
sharing with them my favorite stories from our book. Today was supposed to be the final story—you
know, the one where the stone is rolled away and the women are amazed and then
some men have an amazing walk and discussion along the road. I was excited to share this story, but now
I’m thinking, it’s going to be impossible.
There will be too much noise tonight.
I’ll simply have to cancel.
That’s when my mind asks another question, “Is this a win for the other
side?” “Is this some sort of dark scheme
to keep these friends of mine from hearing the exciting resolution to the
story?” I don’t know if you ever think
this way, but things being the way they are here—where interactions can
feel like a raging battle in the spiritual realm; where evil spirits are an
every day part of people’s lives; where strange things happen at times that
seem more than coincidental—it just seemed too coincidental not to ask the
question. Just then the music starts to
thump.
We haven’t even had lunch yet and we are drowning in
sound. The music is loud and frenetic in
it’s tempo—the sort of tempo that makes your heart beat faster whether you want
it to or not. So much for a quiet Sunday
afternoon…The questions return, “Who’s at work here?” The quiet Sabbath
afternoon is ruined, but maybe this means it will be over before my meeting
this evening. So with music flooding
every corner of our home, we try to take some quiet rest time…
![]() |
| Ours kids play photographer |
By early evening the event is in full swing and our nerves
are jagged. Poor Megan has to cook
dinner in the kitchen, where the music is the loudest. I was retreating to the farthest corner of
the house to get away from it. Of
course, this meant I didn’t hear Megan when she
called for help in the kitchen, for someone to set the table, for
everyone to come to dinner. By the time
we sat down to dinner Megan and I are snapping at one another and the kids, the
music is still pounding, and I hate everything. We have to yell across the
table to be heard. Not our finest hour.
Plus, I’m really annoyed because it seems like the party is not going to
stop. It’s just going to continue on
into the evening…I’m going to go completely insane.
So, with twenty minutes to spare before my friends come over
I decide to call them and cancel. So I
did. And as I hung up the phone, the
music stopped. Fifteen minutes later
they were carting away the speakers. It
was over.
My mind starts to ponder again, “Who just won?” “Is it a coincidence that as soon as I
cancelled the music stopped?” Should I
call my friends back and say we could go on with our meeting? Then I thought about how stressed out I felt;
how tired; how I was only now feeling my heart rate return to normal. No. No
meeting tonight. I’m defeated.
Later that evening, in our now tranquil living room, I sat
playing some quiet songs of worship and thinking. Nothing can separate us from this great
love…neither height nor depth…angels nor demons…famine nor sword…and I realized
that I should add over blown speakers or cancelled meetings. In the end, I may have been disappointed, but
there will be other days, other meetings.
If not with me, than with someone else.
My time may be limited, but He has all the time in the world. And nothing can stop his love. Then finally, a frazzled soul went to bed and
found some rest.
PRAYERS ANSWERED
One of our teammates is in Kenya this week for a speaking
engagement. We’re happy that her travels
went well and we’re hoping she’ll have a great week in Kenya. Asiria, our landlady’s servant girl, has been
a frequent visitor and seems comfortable with us. We are happy that she seems rather well
behaved. A friend of ours asked us to
pray for his sick mother. We are
encouraged that he would come to us for prayer.
We are happy to be hosting a visitor this week.
PRAYERS REQUESTED
Pray for Tom’s friends and that they would still be able to
meet and continue to share their hearts with one another. Pray for our teammates who are away –those at
home for the next few months, and the one in Kenya this week. Pray that God would continue to give us
wisdom, patience, grace and faith as we live in this sometimes difficult place. Pray for encouragement.

