![]() |
| Grace & Peter ready for school |
So this was our first “back-to-school” experience and we realized there is a lot we don’t know….
We don’t know when school will actually begin… It was already September and I could not get a clear answer from the school administrators as to what day school would actually begin, other than them insisting that it would begin this month. Finally it was decided: “Sep 8th will be the beginning of school. Parents come to a meeting a few days before.” At the meeting I learned that teachers would return on the 8th, children on the 10th. When I asked more specifics, I learned that only the primary age kids would come the 10th, the preschool on the 11th. When I pushed for a time, I was told that they would only come briefly on the first day and the normal school hours wouldn’t apply until the third day. “What about the second day?” “The second day will be for gathering all the school supplies.”
We don’t know how to buy books…At the end of last year we were given a school supply list-- presumably so we could buy the supplies over the summer and bring them to school the first day. We got all the required notebooks, pencils, chalks, crayons, etc. But there was still the question of the books. Thankfully the school was opening up a little shop and ordering the books so parents don’t have to hunt around town for them. I went to the new shop on the corner of the school grounds… “I need the preschool and first grade books.” “You can’t buy them. First go to the school office and come back with a receipt showing that you have paid.” Oh, we must have to show we’ve paid the school fees (which I hadn’t done yet) before we can buy the books. I looked at the school office and noticed a long line and decided to wait until the next day.
We don’t know how to pay school fees… Usually paying is the easy part, everyone wants money, right? Last year we had delayed paying one trimester and then received a typed notice that school fees are supposed to be paid at the beginning of each trimester… we assumed that this note was targeted at us and promptly paid. We didn’t want a formal notice this time so the week before school I asked, “Should I pay the school fees now?” “The school fees? Now? For this year?,” the administrator asked. “Yes, for the first trimester.” “No, no, no, not yet.” At the parents’ meeting, I saw parents streaming into the school office and coming out with receipts. “Are they paying school fees?,” I asked a nearby mother. “Yes, for last year.” Another good friend told us a story of how she had to pay a school all the money for last year’s school fees before she could enter her daughter into school for this year. Later I sat in the school office and saw a mother pay for last year’s second AND third trimesters. All the receipt books are labeled, 2013-2014. No wonder they weren’t ready for my money.
![]() |
| Grace learning to grate coconut |
We still don’t know when school actually starts...I take Grace for her second day of school with all the school supplies. They say she will just meet her teacher and hand over the supplies. They call the kids into the classroom. Someone is there monitoring them but it is not the teacher. I wait outside with some other mothers. The directrice comes and tells us that she has to discuss some things with the teachers first. We wait and we wait. Finally two hours pass. The kids have done absolutely nothing besides sitting at their desks and being scolded every so often. I’m bored and I’m not 6 years old. Finally someone comes out. Grace’s teacher isn’t even in the country at the moment-- we should come back next week! We came back on Monday and her teacher was still gone and she still did next to nothing all day. Finally on Friday, her teacher arrived- Grace says she is very nice.
Welcome back to school!
PRAYERS ANSWERED
We’re thankful that Grace continues to be very positive about school despite the rough beginning. Peter also enjoyed his first day of school. Homeschool is going well too. So far David’s burn scar is not thickening, but continues to heal well. Megan’s back continues to do well.
PRAYERS REQUESTED
The shortages continue and are starting to hurt. Most types of meat are hard to find, as well as eggs. Flour is still non-existent and rice is running low. They say the shipment is coming this week. Pray that even this weekend we could get some relief. Peter is sick and missed multiple days of school this week. He is doing better but pray for a full recovery. A new family is coming to the islands this week, pray for their transition to life here. Pray for us as we try to guide our teammates well through the various challenges and struggles of life and work here.

