Saturday, July 5, 2014

Are you fasting?

Tom walking & talking with islanders
“Are you fasting?”  This is the constant question we have heard every year at this time when one fifth of the world’s population is supposed to spend an entire month fasting.  It gives us numerous opportunities to talk about how things are different for us.  And we find ourselves answering the question in many different ways.  Sometimes we simply say, “This isn’t my time to fast.”  Other times we say, “For us, fasting is between me and God.”  Still other times, like this afternoon for example, that question can lead to an extended conversation that goes on for over an hour and ranges on subjects from sin, holiness, what is truth, who is right, and how can we find heaven.

I’ve also found it fruitful this year to ask a question in return, “Why are you fasting?”  This led to a very interesting conversation with my friend, Hanyo.  (If you look back at old blogs you might remember that I’ve had some tough run-ins with Hanyo, but we still continue to see each other regularly and talk about things.)

I asked Hanyo if he was fasting and he said yes.  Then I asked him if he knew why we fast.  [Note: the following is the gist of our conversation.  We were speaking a mix of French and the island language and I confess that it probably wasn’t this clear or well said:]
He said, “Why they fast or why you fast?” 
    I said, “Both.”
    “They fast because it’s an obligation.  They have to.  And also somewhere it says that when everyone fasts it shows that rich and poor are all equal.  Everybody has to fast and they all have to suffer together.  So it makes men realize that we are all the same.”
    “Okay, why do people like me fast?”
    “I don’t know,” he said.
Megan & friend at picnic
So I explained to him that for us, fasting is not an obligation.  There are are no set rules.  I explained that there are no “points” to be gained or lost. (Here people believe good works give you spiritual points that help you qualify for paradise.)  I explained about the many different forms fasting can take and the different amounts of time.  Then I explained that fasting is for the purpose of drawing near to God, knowing His will, and remembering how much we need him in our lives, more than food or anything else.
    “So how people fast is between them and God.  On our team we have someone who is fasting right now, and others who are not.  Me, I am fasting when I get invited to break the fast with someone, to show my solidarity and friendship, but generally I’m not fasting now.”
    “So some of you are fasting and some aren’t?”  he asked.
    “Yes, you see, it’s a choice.  And it’s about the heart.  The same can be true for you.  Maybe you are fasting because you’re afraid of what people say.  Maybe you’re doing it because everyone else is.  But maybe you’re taking this as an opportunity to do a real fast, to pray and be close to God.”
    At that Hanyo started talking about a subject that comes up every time he visits.  “If only I wasn’t alone.  If only someone could come and encourage me in my village.”  (Hanyo’s village is far away and truth be told, I think he would like a foreigner to live there for the possible economic benefits as much as for mutual encouragement.  Every time we meet he talks like this.)
    “Okay,” I said, “Why don’t you use the fast as an opportunity to pray for that very thing.  That someone would come who could encourage you and give you fellowship.  That is an excellent thing to pray for.  And many times we fast to ask God about something important just like this.  And during this month I will pray too.  I will pray every day that you will not be alone.”
    Hanyo agreed, but not whole-heartedly.  I am not deterred.  I am praying.  Would you join me?
Grace finishes Kindergarten!

PRAYERS ANSWERED
Grace finished Kindergarten (this is homeschool, she already finished her year at the local island school). The next day she began asking, “Mommy, when can we start first grade????” We have had some good conversations so far and opportunities to share and challenge. Not only us, but the whole team. Our time of team prayer went well.


PRAYERS REQUESTED  
Continue to pray for us during this month of fasting and the unique conversations it gives us. Pray for Hanyo and others like him.  On Wednesday we leave Clove Island- first for the biggest island for a few days and then to South Africa. Pray for our final days interacting with neighbors and friends here. Pray for Megan’s back as we travel- travel is usually hard on her back. (We go to South Africa to get specialist opinion and treatment for Megan’s back. We’re praying that she won’t need surgery.)    Pray for all those islanders who are seeking- that they would seek and find.